So my school is having a drug meeting in a few weeks... it's not like my school has a drug issue. I actually go to a really nice school with some of the best people I've ever met (both teachers and students). But we're a high school. And high school is when people tend to experiment with substances and alcohol.
If you watch a lot of my videos, or know me even just a little bit, then you know that I don't do drugs. And it's for a few reasons. Of course there are many more reasons why I don't do drugs, but here are some of the main ones just so that you can kind of understand where I'm coming from while you're reading this.
1. I am a goody goody two shoes who is afraid of getting into trouble.
2. I spend my money on shoes and books, not weed.
3. I feel like I should be a good role model for my viewers, so while I still probably wouldn't do drugs even if I wasn't on YouTube, I just feel even more strongly about it.
4. I honestly have no desire to smoke weed or use any other drugs because I just have no interest. It just doesn't seem appealing to me.
5. I have such a nice life. I have a fantastic mom, best friend, boyfriend, friends, school, teachers, and I love the way I am. I would honestly hate myself if I screwed it all up just because I smoked some weed (I know that smoking weed doesn't mean that your life will be ruined, but personally for me, it could ruin my entire image and future because I am known for talking about teen issues and being a good role model). I have all of you guys watching me, and I hope that drugs don't ruin your life, so I definitely won't let them ruin mine.
Okay. So you might be wondering why I went over all of that. Here's my problem. Kids are going to do drugs anyway. Having a school meeting about drugs might inform people of the consequences, but people who smoke are still going to smoke. Sort of like what I said in my Dear Bully video: if you yell at kids and tell them how awful they are for bullying others, then why would they want to listen to you and stop? Yelling at kids never works. All that it does is it scares them and piss them off. And when kids are angry, they rebel.
So here's what I'm struggling with. Kids have done drugs. Kids do drugs. And kids will continue to do drugs. You can yell at them about it or scare them with pictures of people, but when it all comes down to it, you need to inspire them. Okay, okay: inspiring people not to do drugs... I know that it sounds stupid. But it's true. Like I've said before, if you want bullies to stop bullying others, then you can't yell at them. You have to sit them down, and inspire them. Tell them how rewarding it is to be nice to people. Explain how happy people can be by being a good person. Because it's true. Being mean is easy, but it hurts you back.
You need to explain to kids how they can be happy without doing drugs. And adults always say it, so people tend to ignore it (sorry to any adults who are reading this), but if people are picking on you or telling you that you aren't cool because you won't smoke or drink with them, then they are idiots and you are honestly so much better off without them. Anyone who is being mean to you while you're in high school... you are going to be rid of them and you will never have to see them again in a few years. So start now, and leave them behind. You will get so much farther just by being happy and not associating with bad people.
If kids don't care about the effects that it will have on themselves, then explain what can happen to others if they get into a car and put their foot on the gas pedal while high (or especially when drunk). While a lot of people say that being high while driving doesn't do anything, it does. It can make you less aware of your surroundings, and let's see... what are surroundings? Surroundings are pedestrians crossing the street, or other cars switching lanes. While you can't stop yourself from being a victim, you can prevent yourself from harming others.
So tell me... what do you think of drug talks? I'd also love to hear opinions on bully talks. Tell me what you've experienced, what you think is effective, and what inspires you!
Thanks for reading, have a nice day, and I'll be talking to you guys soon (whether it's through a blog post or a new video). Connect with me on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. I'm always updating because I love staying in contact with all of you. Feel free to email me if you ever need someone to talk to. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Be happy!
PS: Waking up doesn't mean your dreams are over, it means it's time to make them come true :)
This is my blog! For every bit of randomness that comes out of my head... read on :)